Sunday, March 6, 2011

Can't go wrong with potatoes, cheese, and peameal bacon

I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight.

It's basically scalloped potatoes with a twist...

... a peameal bacon twist!

Earlier in the week, I cooked a peameal bacon roast (is that what it's called?)
in the crock pot.

It's a nice change from a beef roast
- both in flavour and in price
(I can usually find the peameal for around $8).




So tonight's recipe is the answer to those leftovers.


INGREDIENTS

6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cups peameal bacon, cooked and chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups of boiling milk
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
butter
olive oil

- I would've also added some sliced onion, but we were all out.


* a good tip to keep your potato slices from turning brown - put them in a bowl of salt water*

Once your potatoes, bacon, and cheese are sliced, chopped, and grated...
...pour a little bit of olive oil into casserole dish.

Brush up the sides of the dish.



Then it's time to start the layering!

I did...

potatoes, peameal, cheese...

then sprinkled with...

salt, pepper, flour...

then dot with...

butter.


Then repeat...
...until you reach the top of your dish or run out of ingredients.

Make sure the last one is a good layer of cheese.

Boil up that milk...
if (unlike me) you keep an eye on it, you may just avoid it boiling over EVERYWHERE.

Pour over your layered creation.

I baked mine at 360 for 60 minutes - until the potatoes were cooked and the cheesy top was golden brown.



Yum!

We had it with a side of corn, but it would be good with broccoli, a salad, or whatever floats your boat!

I just tested it as a midnight snack...


...and it passed!

Thanks for dropping by.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea! This sounds really good. Peameal bacon is pretty expensive over here, so I've been thinking about making my own. It's pretty much just pork loin brined in sweet pickle brine and rolled in corn meal. I think I'll try it and then use the finished product in your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    I have heard that you can make your own! We are so lucky to be able to get it here at a good price. Let me know how it turns out if you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.