Thursday, April 7, 2011

Transforming a Dark Wood Frame to Beachy Blue

Years ago, I bought a little mirror with a beautifully carved wood frame.
Unfortunately, that mirror broke, but it was something that I just couldn't part with.
I removed the broken mirror and used it as a frame to display photographs.




Well, the other day, I thought it was about time to transform this dark wood beauty into something that is more my current style... Beachy Blue!




Here's the how to...

Pick the Paint.
Titanium White, Turquoise, and Burnt Umber paints are what I chose to use.




Time to lighten up!
A coat of white paint went on first, along with a light white wash on the wooden back panel.



Layers and Layers... and more Layers.
Next, I added the Turquoise by painting small areas then wiping with a damp paper towel.
I did the same with the Burt Umber.  Then a little bit of white.
I kept adding more and more layers and wiping until I achieved the look I was after.
Did I mention that there were a lot of layers?

Here's the Before and After...



My original plan was to glue a little starfish or shells to the wooden back panel.
But I don't want to take away from the frame...
Have any suggestions?

For now, this little guy is just leaning in there...


...he seems to like his new home, but he'll be ready to move if the right opportunity comes along...
maybe that's the way it's meant to be.

Thanks for stopping in.

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I don't know how I found it, but I did - and I'm very happy about that. can't wait to look around and get some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic....loved the added starfish. Looking forward to more posts. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frame is darling but I poked around at your artwork - sensational! Love your charcoals! I've only done 2. I enjoyed the medium but it was sooo much work - which makes me appreciate yours all the more.

    I'm a new follower. Hope you're still sketching. Dropped by from CG's paint party ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea!

    What a unique frame! I think all the details show up more now that you painted it that lovely shade on blue with the burnt unmber shading.

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.