Monday, April 11, 2011

Folding a Paper Lily


This post is dedicated to Melissa and David... who have just brought home their own precious Lily.
I can't wait to meet her!


Lilies are one of my favourite symbols of Spring.  While the real deal are gorgeous, this paper version offers a unique flair in every colour of the rainbow.  Just pick the perfect paper to suit your style, decor, or even your mood.


Here's the how to...

{Get ready for a lot of pictures}


Start with a square piece of paper.
{scrapbook paper works great}
Fold corner to corner to form a triangle.



Fold corner to corner again, forming a smaller triangle.




Lift up the top fold (fig.1).
Push down towards the table surface(fig.2), creasing the edges (fig.3).

 

Flip over...



...and do the same to this side.  You should end up with a square (fig.3).



Lift up one of the folds.
Open it up.



Once again, push the fold down towards the table, creasing the edges (fig.1).  This makes a kite shape (fig.2).  Fold in the corners (fig.3) to create a diamond shape (fig.4).



Unfold those same corners and lift up at the centre.



Tuck in the sides (fig.1).
Fold the top triangle shape up (fig.2) and then back (fig.3).



Repeat on the other 3 sides.
It should look something like this...



Turn to one of the flat sides.



Fold in each side towards the middle.



Repeat on the other 3 sides.
It should look something like this...



Roll the tips around a pen or pencil.


Ta da!

You should now have yourself a paper lily.  If you don't, try watching this video.
Sometimes I like to stack 2 lilies together {sometimes 3 if I'm really ambitious}.

And I think they look lovely with my previous Scrappy Sparrow project.

 



Oliver sure does like this white one...



...and he's saving it...


30 comments:

  1. Those look beautiful, thanks for sharing such a great tutorial! Visiting from Polly Want a Crafter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flower and the bird, too! So beautiful
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love making origami! These look like a fun craft to do with the kids. They're home all week for spring break, and these'll make great table decorations for Easter brunch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous. You have been showing off your great paper skills today! And how nice there are so many different styles of scrapbook paper at our fingertips at stores!
    Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you. No seriosuly!
    You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are really pretty! I have to admit that the process intimidates me. But I love paper. And flowers. And paper flowers. So I'll probably have to try.

    (Thanks for your encouraging comment. I think they're especially nice when for people who are just getting started.:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe so sweet! I have a Lily, will have to try this! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the paper lilies! I tried and tried and tried to make these...but I lost to the paper! Or the directions...or the late hour...lol.
    I'm your newest follower, probably read two or three weeks worth of posts tonight! Great blog!
    Vanessa
    Dilly Dally
    http://daily-dilly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh!!! How cute are all of these? I'm going to try, if I can figure it out and post it(with a credit to you, of course!). . . IF I can figure it out! Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, what a beautiful flower! I am very impressed to say the least. Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure I'll make a lot of mistakes trying this, but I'm definitely going for it. Lilies are my favorite flower-I carried them at my wedding. This would be a fabulous low cost idea for decorating a table for a baby or wedding shower. Bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this wonderful DIY, i will publish it on my french blog, if you permit :
    http://biodiverscity.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/diy-decoration-printaniere-la-fleur-de-lys-en-papier

    ReplyDelete
  13. maybe you'll see it here : http://biodiverscity.wordpress.com/?p=168&preview=true

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow,this looks lovely, hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa!! That is awesome! I love lilies- especially Stargazer ones-they smell so sweet :) Thanks for this tutorial!!!
    & your art is awesome!!
    Come by LifeAsAPepin if you wish!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just followed along with your tutorial and made one for my three year old daughter. She kept asking me what I was up to....are you making an airplane? .... are you making a kite? ...... Wow, it's a beautiful flower, I love it, it's my favorite! My first one ALMOST looks like yours. :) Thanks for sharing.

    Krysti at http://blissfulmeandering.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely adorable! (and the lily is pretty cool, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrea - These are gorgeous! I have featured these today. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally amazing - I love lilies and I need to learn how to make them but maybe with fondant instead. Thanks for sharing - maybe my 9 year old can make these for me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the instructions for the Lily! I am so excited to add these to the top of my Holiday Gift Jars at www.diydreaming.com.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mine turned out horribly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I still mess up sometimes when I make them - and it's always when I'm using the nicest paper, of course!

    Here's another video that shows a slightly different way to fold them...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6GNx89qtc

    (you may want to mute it - it has a weird soundtrack)

    Hopefully that helps! If you're still having troubles, please don't hesitate to email me...

    andrea.brand.art [at] gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great tutorial! Guess I better follow you now - I keep finding more things that I love! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. awesome! and so simple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for such a lovely post! I will be using these for my 21st birthday! =D

    Jess

    lovelygreenlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. your instructions are hard

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Omg Andrea your so sweet to dedicate this to us lily is almost three in a couple of weeks and I only noticed ur blog today and u posted this before meeting her wow I'm ate lol ur a great friend Andrea and you do amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.