Monday, April 4, 2011

Mushroom Top Tags and the Bloom Bar

Believe it or not, this tag is made out of craft foam.


This isn't your children's craft foam...
...well, actually... it is.


It becomes something more if you open up your mind just a little bit.
This neon and... dare I say it... "tacky"... material is one that I have always overlooked... until I received this book for my birthday (thank you Mom).

visit Rebekah Meier's website

While this tag project isn't found within these pages, I was inspired to think outside of the craft box because of this book.  What I ended up with looks far from "tacky" (at least in my opinion) and reminds me of an earthy mushroom top.  Hence, Mushroom Top Tags.



Here's the how to...

1.  Gather up those supplies.  
  • scissors
  • hole punch
  • glue gun (no gluesticks required)
  • craft paint, paintbrush, water in little dish
  • pen or pencil
  • cardstock
  • string or jute
  • and the star of the show - craft foam sheets
{I accidently bought the kind with a peel and stick backing (who knew there was such a thing?!), but it worked out much better anyway.}




2. Trace and cut out circles of craft foam.
This spool of string was the exact size and shape that I was looking for.


3.  Round the edges.
Scissors make this trimming task a snip!


4.  Etch into the foam.
A hot glue gun becomes an improvised heated etching tool to carve letters into the foam.

{Disclaimer:  Please understand that your hot glue gun was not intended for this purpose.  Take all safety precautions and do so at your own risk.}


5.  Make tiny foam circles.
This handy hole punch does the job.


6.  Stick to it!
Partly peel away the larger circle's backing.  Place the tiny circles, face down, along the edge.  Be sure to let them overhang.


This treatment gives the illusion of a pretty scalloped edge.


7.  The tag takes shape.
Remove the backing from the tiny circles and place onto sheet of cardstock.  Punch a hole in the cardstock - this is where the string will be tied.  Draw a curved shape around this hole.


8.  Trim and proper.
Cut out around your foam shape.  No need to be perfect... imperfection adds character and charm!


9.  Tone down those hues.
Burnt Umber coloured paint is dry brushed into the cracks and crevices.


10.  Add some earthy vintage flair.
Titanium White paint softens the look... don't you think?


11.  String those things.
Tie on your favourite string or ribbon.  This rustic jute contrasts nicely with the elegant scalloped edge.


12.  Hang up your hard work.
I chose to showcase my tags on simple green bottles filled with fresh Spring blooms.

Our breakfast bar has been transformed...



...into the Bloom Bar.


Come on in and have a seat.
Fresh Spring thoughts are on the menu.
Today's special: a side of tulips.

Thanks for dropping in.



I've shared this post with...

UndertheTableandDreaming


craft











Good Life Wednesdays
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!







Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special










37 comments:

  1. That's amazing that those are foam. I'm impressed! Very - actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO cute, I have to do this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME... They actually look like metal... LOVE it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool! Love the little green bottles you put them on to!

    Thanks for stopping by Thrifty Like Me. Love your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so neat. I've never seen anything like it. I'd love for you to link up to my Terrific Under Ten Tuesday Party sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here from Under the Table and can I just say that I have wanted to find tags like these for years! Never did I think that I could make them with the foam sheets! This is AWESOME!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute - you are so creative! Your tea towels are great too. LOVE the stripes. :)
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont

    ReplyDelete
  8. BILLIANT! I'm adding this to my list of things to try. Visiting from Beach Cottage Weds.

    -Aaron {the girl with the boy's name}

    www.mudpiesandmarigolds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is Lovely! Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've added this tutorial to my Idea File on my blog. It is adorable!
    http://www.mccormickmadness.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tags are featured on my blog today! Come grab an I'm featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so fantastic! I thought they were bottle tops at first! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful transformation! I never would have guessed that was foam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! That is a spectacular transformation! I have a ridiculous amount of craft foam - I can't wait to give this a try!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ps - I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coolest creation I've ever seen! They look so distressed which is what I LOVE!

    I've highlighted this on FJI Facebook for SNS #76. :)

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Funky-Junk-Interiors/175378011140#!/photo.php?fbid=10150213644311141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&theater

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these. And the flower display is wonderful!
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the best! I could not believe what it was made out of. Brave use of a glue gun! I will definately be trying this. Thanks so much for sharing your ingenious idea.
    ~Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so great! It makes me wonder how many other things I overlook that could be made into something amazing like this! Found you on funky junk interiors- so cool!!
    Lindsay
    Craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. AMAZING! Okay a little honesty here. I went from "yeah those are cute" to seeing them on the bottles spelling out "bloom" and thinking "HOLY SMOKES that is AWESOME!" lol. I am making some of these, you are so talented and have an eye for it really. I would be thrilled to have you share this at my VIP party this weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are great! I love crafty ideas that come from thinking outside the box!

    Jo @ SmileMonsters

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love! I'm a copying you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this!! I will be following :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable. Creative. Genius.

    I am having a spring craft linky party and giveaway on my blog this Friday. I would love for you to showcase this wonderful project.

    Details are on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are the coolest goodies ever...where can I place my order? Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing!!! I love these! They have so much character and charm and they are so fun! You could use them in a million different ways! Thanks for sharing! Found you via Lovely Crafty Home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. for sure on the "to Do" list! love it! I am following you!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! When I first saw your bloom jars I looked at what I thought was metal and thought to myself "shoot, I would like to do that for the bottles I have been collecting but don't have any idea where to start with that." I laughed out loud when I discovered it was that cheap puffy stuff. Way to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an amazing tutorial and great idea! I want that book now. I saw someone mention this post on facebook, so I thought I'd come by and follow you on GFC and FB, so I will catch your next post. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Saw your post at "The Lettered Cottage"...SO creative! Thank you so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are great! I definitely need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thought tags were made from metal! Visiting via The Lettered Cottage! =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.