I have stumbled upon an incredible recipe for cooking these tasty birds. Even though it takes 5 hours in the oven, it is so worth it! The end result is moist scrumptious chicken every single time.
Here's the original recipe. And here's how I do it...
The Ultimate Roast Chicken
(This recipe is for 2 whole chickens, but can easily be cut in half for 1.
I like to make an extra big batch of the rub and keep on hand for quick and easy prep.)
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 onions, quartered
2 (4 pound each) whole chickens
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
- Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel.
- Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture.
- Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken.
- Place chickens in a roasting pan (I use a 9x13 glass baking dish) and bake uncovered for 5 hrs, to a minimum internal temperature of 180.
- Spoon juices from bottom of pan over the chickens.
- Cover with tin foil and let chickens stand for at least 10 min before carving.
The pan drippings make a very delicious gravy, which should always be served in the fanciest gravy boat...
...one that even measures how much is left!
Thanks for dropping in.