Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Fish Called Chips

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the lovely and supportive comments for my last post.  As I continue to hear of others with similar stories on an almost daily basis, I've realized just how important it is to share our experiences and support one another.  Thank you.

Now, on to other things...

I've been meaning to introduce to you the little surprise that my husband, Chris, brought home a few weeks ago.  After he told me on the phone that he was bringing home something special for the family, the text messages went a little something like this...


ANDREA:  I'm curious about the family surprise... Lady & The Tramp on blue ray perhaps?
CHRIS:  Way off.
ANDREA:  Hmmm... Is it edible?
CHRIS:  Yuuuuuuuup.
ANDREA:  Candy?
CHRIS:  Way off.
ANDREA:  Chicken? (that was Oliver's suggestion)

Well, the surprise turned out to be something that may be served up at an event like the Stag & Doe for our wedding...


Chris after swallowing a goldfish.  Should have bought that "Goldfish Insurance!"


But here at home, I think we'll keep this off the menu.




At first, when asked what to name our new Betta fish, Oliver would say "no" or nothing at all.




Then, a few days later, when asked again, he said "Chips!"




I think he was actually requesting some chips to eat, but the name has stuck.  It's actually quite the clever name, especially if you take the popular meal of "Fish 'n' Chips" into consideration.  Although, please don't worry, I will not be serving this Chips for dinner.




Oliver loves to feed his fish.  After a few mishaps with the food pellets spilling everywhere, we've developed a good system.  I put the required amount on a plate, set it beside the fish bowl, and Ollie puts them in one by one.




Oliver then says, "Watch fish eat", peers into the top of the bowl, and says "Mmm" each time the fish gobbles up a pellet.




I've become quite attached to the little guy and I love how he comes right over and looks up at you. Despite my track record with fish and house plants (if you remember back to this previous post where I mentioned bringing the Front Porch Ferns inside for the winter... well... they're no longer with us), I'm determined to keep Chips alive for as long as possible!




There's no doubt about it, little Chips has quickly become a part of our family life... hook, line, and sinker.

Thanks for stopping by.





UPDATE:  Chips has since passed away.  He was a lovely presence in our home and lived a good long life for a beta fish.

4 comments:

  1. cute. when my daughter was small we had a beta & she named it Phillip Johnny Bob after something from Junie B. Jones. Beta's are pretty hardy. Good luck with your new family member

    ReplyDelete
  2. try to put a c;ear lid on top. I personally had a beta jump out & most now have a cover to prevent that...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.